White gold? Platinum? Learn which one of these two very different ring metals best suits you.
White gold and platinum are two gleaming white metals that play up the brilliance of their set diamonds. They’re both beautiful and sturdy: neither ring metal tarnishes, corrodes, or rusts. You can’t go wrong with either classic, but which ring metal best fits your lifestyle?
White gold and platinum look so similar – so what’s the difference?
Strike White Gold
- White gold’s silvery luster is created by alloying yellow gold with white metals like nickel or zinc, and finishing with rhodium plating. Its white appearance can be maintained over time through simple re-platings.
- White gold is a lightweight, easy-to-wear-all-day ring metal.
- It’s malleable and so withstands delicate detailing and engraving.
- White gold is an affordable option for those who love white ring metals.
- Platinum is a rare, valuable metal with a gorgeous silvery sheen that retains its white luster with minimal maintenance.
- Most platinum ring metals contain 95% platinum and 5% alloys; platinum’s high purity means it’s ideal for anyone with metal sensitivities.
- It’s durable! Platinum is a favorite of active wearers for its ability to endure extreme wear-and-tear.
Want to show your ring metal? Here are 10 settings that look gorgeous in either white gold or platinum:
“My ring is beautiful. Pictures do not do it justice. The setting puts all the attention on my diamond.”
“Everyone commented on how detailed it is, yet said there’s also a simplicity to it.”
“I love the delicate halo and simple band, so the center diamond can be the star of the show.”
“My fiancée is very happy and proud of her ring. She receives compliments all the time.”
Asymmetrical Love Knot
“The pavé diamonds add a great touch and the asymmetry is just enough to make it interesting and unique.”
– Christian B.
“I knew my fiancée wanted something elegant and thin and this ring fits the bill perfectly.”
Bird Of Paradise
“The antique design is gorgeous and perfect for my very special girl.”
“The rope setting has an elegant yet distinctive simplicity, and it really highlights the diamond.”
“My now fiancée LOVES this ring. Very much her. Classy yet simple.”
Halo Twisted Shank
“The halo really makes the diamond appear larger than anything, and the ring as a whole looks so radiant.”
- View the fall’s hottest yellow gold engagement rings
- Read about the rise of rose gold engagement rings
- Get tips on caring for your ring metal
- And virtually try on any engagement ring
Subscribe to our email list for access to secret sales, practical ring-buying tips, and $100 off your first purchase!