Engagement ring advice from our customers, including how to nail the ring and why the proposal matters!
Our customers are basically pros by the time they propose. In fact, we’d say their engagement ring advice is 10x more valuable than those random articles you find online. Here are the dos and don’ts from James Allen customers who got it so, so right:
Engagement Ring Advice: Do Your Research
- “I went with a diamond ring, so I made sure to read up on the 4 C’s, what clarity/color goes with each shape/setting color.”- Nikolaos C.
- “Ask what style ring she likes! Research the diamond certification! Ask for ideas on proposals but make it special to the two of you!”- Chad M.
- “I watched lots of YouTube videos on diamonds and ring buying tips in order to get the right diamond.”- Fernando M.
- “Do your research! I’ll save you the hassle – just go through James Allen 😊”- Breanna R.
Engagement Ring Advice: Ask the Experts
- “Get in touch with the gemologists and customer service. They’re outstanding.”- Cesar U.
- “Definitely talk about your expectations for everything! Use a website like JamesAllen.com that will guarantee a PERFECT ring or your money back. Their customer service was top-notch and we were thrilled with both the process of finding the ring and the end result.”- Josh E.
- “Take your time! Don’t rush it. Ask questions if you have any and have fun!”- Ana-Alicia S.
- “The chat feature is so helpful! Sharing a screen with the consultant helped me find the best diamond within my budget by pointing out differences between the stones that I wouldn’t have noticed on my own.”- Abigail A.
Engagement Ring Advice: Narrow it Down
- “Pick out some rings that you wouldn’t normally and compare and contrast them for a while. I started with 6ish all different styles and I would look at them for a few days and then slowly take one away until I had the one.”- William B.
- “First, set a budget aside. With the budget, you can start looking for what kind of diamond you want based on the 4Cs. When you have selected the diamond you want, then look for the design.”- Cynthia L.
- “Take your ego out of the equation. Size is not the most important aspect when buying a diamond so don’t go for the biggest carat.”- Steven J.
Engagement Ring Advice: Design It Together
- “Teamwork! Pop the question then include them in the purchase. It’s too important a financial move to make on your own. It’s the first step towards union.”- Benjamin S.
- “Let her decide the style if possible, as she is the one that will wear it. Listen carefully to her likes and dislikes.”- Steven J.
- “The whole process for us of ‘building’ my ring was so easy. And doing it together was fun and romantic! When we looked into each other’s eyes and my fiance told me to ‘click on it!’, it was just AWESOME!”- Debra F.
Engagement Ring Advice: Rock the Proposal
- “Keep her in the loop when it comes to the ring and diamond, then surprise her with when and where you propose! Her favorite flower is tulips…so I decided that we would go to the Netherlands and attend the tulip festival in April!”- Rob B.
- “Don’t focus on the ring and miss everything else! Make it a memorable experience, something that is you. A ton of people will be asking you afterwards on how it went down, so a nice story goes a long way.”- Nikolaos C.
- “Make sure you remember to inform all her family members, especially parents, before proposing.”- Sherman L.
Engagement Ring Advice: You Do You!
When it comes down to it, you two are the only ones who know what you want.
- “You should know her better than anyone. Think of something and make it your own.”- Fernando M.
- “Follow your heart, always.”- Jordan R.
Ready to design the perfect proposal? Let’s do this!
More Key Engagement Ring Advice
- How Important Is Jewelry Insurance?
- The Diamond Shape Guide
- The Ring Style Guide
- Why You Should Design Your Ring Together
Helpful tools to find the ring:
Fact or rumor? Which of these Engagement Ring Rules prove true?
Pin this as you plan your proposal:
Subscribe to our email list for access to secret sales, practical ring-buying tips, and $100 off your first order!