These sparkling squares have earned themselves die-hard popularity among the engagement ring crowd. They’re beloved by everyone from divas to dreamers – so which are you?
There’s a reason (well, quite a few!) why princess-cut diamonds and cushion-cut diamonds are two of the most beloved cuts. In fact, after the round brilliant, they’re the most popular diamond shapes for engagement rings.
- The princess-cut diamond is bold and square/rectangular, with beveled edges that resemble a pyramid turned on its peak.
- The princess cut’s square shape takes up room, looking larger for its carat weight than other cuts.
- The modern princess cut skyrocketed to popularity in the 1980s.
- Princess-cut and round diamonds begin as the same brilliant shape. To create a princess cut, cutters create sharp corners rather than smoothing out a diamond’s edges as they would for a round cut.
- The number of facets can vary between individual princess cut diamonds, making each diamond undeniably unique.
- The cushion-cut diamond is, as the name implies, pillow-shaped.
- Its squarish shape, rounded corners, and large facets combine to give off an air of soft elegance.
- The many facets of a cushion cut engagement ring hide inclusions without sacrificing brilliance. In fact, word has it that the cushion cut’s large facets came from its predecessor, the Old Mine Cut, so that it could shine even in the low candlelight of the mines in which it was developed.
- This classic goes way back – nearly 200 years!
So- bold and brilliant, or soft and romantic? Have a look at the five trending settings below and see whether princess-cut or cushion-cut best suits your personal style.
Do princess-cut diamonds make you royally flush? Are you swooning over cushion-cut engagement rings? Read more below!
- Brush up on the classics with cushion-cut halo engagement rings
- Take a deep dive into cushion-cut diamond engagement rings
- All the info on princess-cut diamond engagement rings
- A beginner’s guide to buying an engagement ring
Obsessing over one (or more) of the wedding rings in this post? Share the love on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, or in the comments below!
Pin it & show off your diamond-cut style!
Subscribe to our email list for access to secret sales, practical ring-buying tips, and $100 off your first purchase!
Rachel is an unabashed linguistics fanatic who can identify the ancient Greek root of any word. She promises not to spray you with Windex.